Monday, March 3, 2008

Personal Goals

Lately I've been thinking about some things that I'd like to change in my life. One of these things is reducing my "screentime" (see "Secular Sabbath" below). But there are some other things I'd really like to work on, or at least be more aware of. Here is the condensed list (in no particular order):
  • Don't watch TV unless I'm at the gym. I realized that there is no good reason to sit down and watch TV on the couch when I can go to the gym and ride a stationary bike or do the elliptical while watching the same program. The Harvard gym I go to has TVs on every machine, so if I bring headphones, it really is like sitting on the couch, just burning more calories. By the way, this doesn't include Netflix movies or TV on DVD. I'm not crazy, just reasonable. :)
  • Make more photographs. I saw this photographer speak last week and was inspired to dust off my "real" cameras and start shooting again. I woke up Sunday morning with a creative burst and wrote down some ideas. I'm also considering looking into renting a studio space. I'm not sure if I can really afford it, but it would be SO nice. I also just have to suck it up and pay full price for medium format processing. I was spoiled in Chicago by being able to process and print my own stuff at work, but now that's not an option, so I just have to deal with it.
  • Cut back my screentime. Again, just see "Secular Sabbath" below. This is going to happen in baby steps for me, but the idea of making time to read a book or go for a walk or bike ride with the intension of just enjoying myself (as opposed to getting to work or running an errand or reading for school) is just wonderful. I'm looking forward to it, and I think this will be much easier once the weather is nicer and it's more enticing to spend time outside away from the computer.
  • Drive less. This doesn't need an explanation. Gas is so effing expensive it's just not worth it. I will still drive to class one night a week (it's just safer getting home at night that way) and I'll probably still drive to the grocery store when I do a big shopping trip, but I'd really like to get into the habit of using the car as a last resort or out of necessity instead of going to it first with the idea that it will save time. Don't get me wrong, it does save time, and I'm happy I have it, but feel like I was using it unnecessarily at times.
So those are some goals of mine. Feel free to ask me how it's going. This is a big motivator for me. I told my roommate to ask me "How was the gym?" from time to time, and it's so nice to be able to say "It was great!" as opposed to "Yeah, yeah, I'll try and go tomorrow..."

3 comments:

Trinity said...

These sound like great goals. Let me know if you want to borrow a dog for your walk!

Jocelyn said...

Way to go Beth! You are an inspiration to me to make some goals of my own.

Jerri said...

I love these start-to-08 goals! It'll be fun to review them together next week on our big trip! :)