Thursday, March 31, 2011

Minneapolis for work and fun!

Last week I had the pleasure of attending a professional conference in a city full of wonderful friends! The conference was excellent and it was great to reconnect with colleagues from all over the country as well as my favorite Minneapolitans! The conference kept me busy. I acted as a session moderator, co-chaired a committee meeting and am member of a national implementation team, not to mention all of the other great programs I got to attend. It was wonderful to reconnect with colleagues from Harvard and to meet new folks along the way. But this conference going can be exhausting!

Paul and Trinity scooped me up from the conference hotel and took me out to brunch/lunch at a great little place called The Sample Room. It was delicious food, and more importantly, was a great chance to catch up with them. Jerri and Mark introduced me to these two many years ago, and then when I moved to Boston they were pretty much the only people I knew in town at first. We both left Boston around the same time and now I get to see them when I make it out to Minneapolis. It was a perfect little escape toward the end of the conference.


I stayed in the conference hotel with my good friend Allison for two nights and then stayed at Jerri and Mark's house for the other nights I was in town. This worked out well and gave me a chance to be NBB (as Jerri would say, stands for Nothing But Business) while I was deep in "conference mode". And then at the end of my stay I was able to enjoy some fabulous home-cooked meals and get in some quality kiddo time with Zoe. It's so fun to see how much she's grown since the last time I was in town!

Jerri and Mark invited our friend Joey over for dinner on Sunday night and we had a great time catching up. Jerri and Joey are both coupon clippers (coupons are HUGE in Minneapolis) and they enjoyed going through the coupon book that I got with my conference materials. Here they are laying claim to different offers:

Something cool about Jerri and Mark's neighborhood is that there is a little diner around the corner that does Pie Happy Hour. Pretty much all evening, every slice of pie is only $1! Joey and I went over while Zoe had her bedtime and picked up cherry, blueberry and pumpkin pie slices, and a few cookies as a post-dinner sweet treat.

I didn't have to go back to the conference on Monday morning, so I had a chance to sleep in and got to have some more fun time with Zoe that morning. Her room gets really great sunlight in the morning and I took some photos of her brushing her hair and playing with her toys.


She's really into dinosaurs. And I loved this great green carpet that she has in her room:



Here's a video of her dancing with her dino:


After we all got cleaned up and dressed, we headed out to brunch at Cafe Barbette. It was, again, really delicious food. It was fun to see Zoe's good manners at the restaurant, and good to catch up more with Jerri, too. After brunch we did a little driving tour of a cool neighborhood and then I had to get to the airport for my flight home. The visit was too short, as always, but it's nice to know that I'll be seeing Jerri, Mark and Zoe again over the summer when our good friend Christa gets married in Massachusetts.

You can see Jerri's blog post about my visit - with a picture of Mark - here. And Trinity's post about our lunch out, here.

2 comments:

Christa said...

Beth! More award-winning photos of Zoe...love the side profile one the fabulous green carpet. Great to hear her little voice too. Glad you were able to catch up with so many dear friends. And I noticed some lovely pears. :) Nice blog!

Jerri said...

These photos are soooo great! Thanks again for posting and for coming. We were so grateful to host you and can't wait to have you come back. Love you!