Monday, August 27, 2007

The news from Walden Pond

While the midwest deals with the aftermath of flooding and Greece burns to the ground, Boston is enjoying some FABULOUS end-of-summer weather. I got out of work about 3:15 today and decided on my walk home that I needed to head out to Walden Pond. So I packed up some hummus and veggies, a little Vitamin Water and some pretzels and headed out to Concord. It's only about a 25 minute drive from my house and so worth the $5 parking fee. I walked about half way around the pond before I found a vacant little nook where I could sit and read in peace with just the sound of the water lapping at the rocks. The last time I did this was almost exactly a year ago and I sat and read March by Geraldine Brooks (listen to an NPR story here), which was appropriate as it's about the March family in Little Women. This time I brought Carl Sandburg's Chicago Poems. It was a great little companion to my trek.

After sitting and reading for about 45 minutes I walked around the other half of the lake and then sat by the swimming beach and read a little more and just enjoyed the beautiful evening. It was getting a little buggy, I so got back in my car, had a snack and headed over to the Decordova Museum & Sculpture Park. I went into the store, which has been closed every other time I've been there and then walked around the sculptures a little bit. I realized that it was turning out to be a pretty nice sunset, so I headed back to Walden Pond to see the view:


Driving home I got to see the biggest nearly-full moon rising right in front of me. It was literally breathtaking. I had to pull over to the side of the road to get this shot:


And I didn't pull over to take this shot. It was just so amazing:

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

So pretty! (Remember when we saw those people swimming there in January? Nuts!)

Jerri said...

That was such a great blog! Thanks for posting those awesome pictures. It's fun to hear about your travels with your car back in town.
Love you!
Jerri