Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It's been a busy month

Since the last time I wrote, I finished my semester at school, went to Falcon Ridge Folk Festival, visited friends in Oregon, spent time with family in Cape May, NJ and spent a great weekend with friends in and around the Boston area. Finally I have a minute to attend to this blog. Thanks for your patience. I almost feel like the last month is too much to blog about, so instead I'm going to pick up where I left off and tell about the little details of my day that make me smile.

Let's start with tomatoes. This is the perfect time of year to talk about tomatoes because they are right in season. In Cape May I had the chance to eat some wonderful Jersey tomatoes and while traipsing about Central Mass last weekend I had the chance to stop at a farmstand and pick up some beauties that were picked that morning. On Monday I came into work, only to be gifted with one huge beautiful tomato and 3 little cherry tomatoes by a co-worker who's growing them at home and has too many to eat on his own. All of these tomatoes are so far superior to the pink mushy grossness that abounds in supermarkets. It makes me sad to think that they're considered the same fruit.


So what have I done with these wonderful treats? At the shore I cut them up and ate them as thick slices with salt and pepper, sometimes on a plate with some cucumber. Most recently I made a wonderful Caprese salad with real fresh mozzarella, basil from my back porch, a little balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil and some salt and pepper. I also included some in my most recent batch of stuffed zucchini. Tonight I sliced big slices to top grilled veggie burgers for me and some friends. They are just so wonderful. In fact, there is an article in the NY Times about this same thing. How to use all of these amazing tomatoes while they're still in season and so good. You know it's truly summer when your biggest concern is what to do with all of the wonderful tomatoes.

No comments: