Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Falcon Ridge 2008

On Saturday I had the chance to head out to Falcon Ridge Folk Fest for the weekend. It was a great time, especially on Saturday when I saw performances by Dar Williams, The Nields, Martin Sexton, Lindsay Mac, Patty Larkin, Vance Gilbert and many other musicians. It rained a little in the afternoon, and then again in the evening and then really rained overnight. Thankfully I was sleeping in a car, so that didn't matter too much. I stayed until Sunday afternoon. In the morning on Sunday they have the Gospel Morning Wake-Up Call which is one of my favorite parts of the weekend. Here are (a very pregnant) Nerissa and Katryna Nields at the Wake Up Call:


And here's a video of the crowd at the Main Stage during the Gospel Wake-Up Call:



I had the good fortune of being able to volunteer on the Lost and Found Crew again this year with the fabulous crew chiefs Ben and Lucinda. The Crew feels like family, even after just a couple hours. And it's so fun to be able to give people back what they lost. The highlights included returning $260 in cash that someone actually turned in, and having a little boy come running up to the table pointing at a little stuffed turtle and saying "Jack! Jack! I've been looking for you everywhere!" It was really heartwarming. Here's a photo of the whole Lost and Found Crew:


The whole Festival was kind of plagued with bad weather, but I was lucky to avoid most of it, including the disastrous hail storm that hit only about an hour after I left on Sunday. I'm glad I got out when I did.

Already looking forward to next year!

2 comments:

Jerri said...

I love this post! Made me miss FRFF. I hope to get back there someday and bring Zoe. In the meantime, though, maybe we'll try Winnepeg FF first. Love ya!

Bill said...

The Nields: one of those bands that you like quite a bit in concert (generally because you're with people you really like) and then bring their albums home and its like listening to cats being tortured, slowly. But FRFF is great.. even if the weather can be absolute crap.