Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chicago - Day 4, Blue Line from one end to the other

One of the things I was most excited about this trip was getting to meet my friend Nate's new baby, Caroline! On Tuesday morning I said good-bye to Matthew and took the El downtown and switched to the Blue Line out to Oak Park. It took about an hour to get there, but it was totally worth it. Nate picked me up at the station and then we did a driving tour of downtown Oak Park and saw a bunch of Frank Lloyd Wright homes and the Unity Temple. I had wanted to do this since I just saw the show at the Guggenheim and I'm reading "Loving Frank" which mostly takes place in Oak Park is about one of his affairs. It was a quick little tour, and then we ended up back at his house for a little bit. Then we headed to Buzz Cafe for a quick bite - I had a salad with wonderful grilled tofu and a huge decaf chai. After dropping off lunch for his wife, Lola, who was at work, we headed over to the babysitter's to see Caroline. Oh my goodness she is adorable! She was trying out "swimming" for the first time in a teeny little baby pool in the back yard of the babysitter's house. She is such a happy, sweet baby, and it was great to see Nate as a dad.

After our quick visit, it was off to the airport for me. I took the Blue Line from Oak Park all the way to O'Hare, which took about an hour and a half, but it was all one train and I didn't have to move, so it was pretty stress-free. My flight was delayed about an hour, but when we took off I had a great view flying over the city. The photo doesn't quite do it justice, but it's really a beautiful city to see from the air.

And then, after a sunny, nearly cloudless flight, we crossed into NJ to be greeted by clouds. But with those clouds came a little bit of sun and rainbows! It was so cool to see rainbows from the air, just hanging out in the clouds. It was really a beautiful sight.


So after landing I took NJ Transit back to where my car was parked at Princeton Junction and made it home just in time for some downpours! It wasn't quite the "welcome home" I was hoping for, but it somehow seemed appropriate. I, obviously, was not in Chicago anymore...

But it was an amazing weekend! Can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

Jerri said...

what a beautiful rainbow! can't believe you caught that in the air. how awesome! so cool to see nate and his beautiful baby girl. she has great eyes and such a happy face!