Friday, February 12, 2010

Broomball!

So a bunch of the engineers that are also on the Pub Quiz team that I'm on decided to join the Intramural Broomball league on campus. In order to play in the co-ed league they needed to have some girls on the team, so I was eagerly recruited, not for my broomball skills, but more for the fact that I'm female.

Since I've mentioned this to a few people, many have said "What the heck is broomball?". So I took my camera onto the ice last night and took a few shots just to give a sense of the goofiness of this game. We play on half of the hockey rink (or more like a third of the rink), so two games can go on at once, with the middle left empty for those that are on the sidelines. Only five people play on each team at a time, a goalie and four other people.

As you can see, everyone has sticks and the ball is actually like a little soccer ball. The sticks and helmets are provided, but our captain recommended knee pads, since you are bound to fall slipping around on ice in your sneakers and grippy gloves to hold onto the stick. So I went out and bought some volleyball kneepads and batting gloves, which work perfectly. Although I still have a bruise on my hip about the size of a coaster.

I also decided to take a little video, just to give you a better sense of the game:



Last night we played the PU Band team and they were pretty aggressive, much more so than the first team that we played. Both games ended in a 0-0 tie and went to a shoot out. The first game we won, last night's game we didn't.

Next game is Monday night! Game On!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

That looks like so much fun and the snow looks beautiful in jersey.