Sunday, May 9, 2010

Queen Mom

Since as long as I can remember we have brought out this well-loved hand-made crown to celebrate my Mom's birthday and Mother's Day. The crown is over 30 years old and has been torn and spilled on multiple times and is held together with tape in many places. It's made out of construction paper, which isn't the sturdiest of materials, and was decorated with magic marker by my Dad and my brothers. It's quite possible that this was made even before I was born, if not when I was an infant. It is, to say the least, a family tradition.

Since the original crown is in quite fragile shape, I decided to make Mom a new crown this Mother's Day. I tried to make the decorations as similar to the original as possible, but I used die cut crowns from Paper Source (layering two of them) as the base of the crown. It's much sturdier than construction paper and will hopefully serve this Queen well for many years to come. The original crown will be retired as the "Crown Jewels" and added to the family archives.

Here's a great photo of Mom with her new crown and some of the flowers she received for Mother's Day. She is the Queen, and I love her! Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Your mom is the Queen... How sweet you made it her a new crown. What a great tradition.