Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sprouts in the Garden!

Early this week we had a few days of nice, soaking rain followed by a cloudy day and then today was sunny, warm and beautiful. I thought this weather was perfect for the garden, so I stopped by on my way home from work to see if anything had sprouted and sure enough, green bush beans (above), lettuce and cauliflower were all sprouting.

The garden is in the same place that I had last year, but the gardens are configured a little differently. Instead of having walkways all the way around the garden, I only have walkways on two sides. This means I have to have a little more room for getting into the garden than I did last year. But the plot I have is sunny all day and it's close to the water source, which is nice.

Above are some sprouting cauliflower. I've never grown cauliflower before, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

And last weekend I drove out to Gravity Hill Organic Farm and picked up 4 tomato plants! This is in addition to the 3 that I already planted, so yes, I'm going to be swimming in tomatoes this summer. One of the plants is actually a husk cherry (above), which produces small, almost citrusy fruits that grow in a husk, similar to a tomatillo. Sylvie introduced me to these when we were living in Cambridge and they are truly a treat! I hope this plant works out. I haven't grown these before, either.

I also have some pepper plants growing and I'm hoping to put in some carrots and arugula to round out the mix. I decided not to do summer squash or zucchini this year since they didn't work out so well last year and they take up SO much space in a small garden. I'm considering doing cucumbers, but I already lost 6 cucumber plants, probably to some hungry little critter, so I'm not sure if I want to risk that again. One of the things I love about the garden is that it is ever-changing and evolving, and every time I stop by there seems to be some little surprise.

Here's hoping for a good growing season!

4 comments:

Miss Karen said...

I am willing to take some tomatoes off your hands, if it comes to that. That's the kind of friend I am.

Jerri said...

How fun! You are such a great gardener. I've always been so envious of your skills and talents in this area! Love you!

Trinity said...

Hooray for sprouts! It is such an amazing thing when seeds actually become plants. We are aiming to get the rest of our garden in the ground this weekend. We were early getting the first round in but now we are little behind. I'm glad you got your garden space again this year. Happy gardening!

Ms. Ann said...

the garden looks great! you're such a good gardener. i don't have the patience to do such things--but i do greatly appreciate those that do. good luck, little garden :)