Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Now We're Cooking with...Electric

While I was moving I decided to stop by the community garden and drop off my rake and big watering can so that I didn't have to worry about storing them in my new place. While I was there I stopped by my plot and picked one more cucumber, a few carrots and two big green tomatoes. Honestly, the whole garden (not just my plot) is so overgrown with weeds it makes it impossible to water and that will probably be the last time I go this season. I had a great run with the sungolds, tons of cucumbers, nice green beans and other tomatoes.

But back to the green tomatoes. What else does one do with green tomatoes but fry them? This was my first "real" meal (outside of boiling water for pasta and steaming some veggies) that I cooked in my new apartment. Mac came over and we followed this recipe.

After a few debacles of turning on the wrong burner and nearly burning ourselves, we finally figured out the stove and managed to pull together two nice dishes. Earlier I had made this Spanish Potato Tortilla, and the two actually went nicely together.

My Grammy says "Now we're cookin' with gas!" when things are going well with a project. Well, I was cooking with gas in my old apartment, now I'm cooking with electric. And now I have a better understanding of the saying (except back in the day it was probably gas vs. woodburning stove as opposed to gas vs. electric). Needless to say I'm still getting used to the electric stove. The next adventure will be actually turning on the oven for the first time! Stay Tuned...

1 comment:

dragonslayer318in11 said...

I like gas better. I am still getting used to the electric in my apartment.