Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Flocking

On Sunday night I watched this performance piece that was the result of a collaboration between students in the Program in Dance and Engineering & Applied Sciences. It was quite fascinating. On Sunday the performance was in a building where you had a vantage point from above. You can see people (including me) at the top of the photo reflected in the huge windows.

They had another performance on Monday night and Mac and I decided to participate. It was a really neat experience to be part of the "flock". It took more concentration than I would have imagined to follow just a few simple rules (don't get too close, don't get too far away). The Monday night performance was in a much smaller space, which I think might have worked better, even though it lacked the overhead viewing option.

This was the first performance of this type at Princeton and I hope they do it again. It would be interesting to see how different performers and different spaces affect the outcome.

No comments: