Monday, September 24, 2007

Hard to explain...

Last night Sylvie and Miriam and I went to see Sxip's Hour of Charm performed at ART's Zero Arrow theatre. This is their black box space and it's FANTASTIC. Oh, and ART=American Repertory Theatre. This is walking distance from my house and that makes me so happy. But more about the show. The reason we went at all was because Erin McKeown was playing, we didn't know too much else except what the website told us. The website told us there would be crazy music and something called The Red Bastard and an aerial artist doing something called a ceiling walk.

I'm so glad that a picture is worth a thousand words because I have trouble describing this whole scene. Basically everyone got about 15 minutes to perform and apparently they could do whatever they wanted. Sxip hosted and composed music for Una, Erin did her set in at least 3 or 4 inch-heeled, knee-high boots, Corn Mo was SO hilarious in his ernest-ness that I was laughing so hard I cried, MeowMeow demanded a lot from the audience and Beat Circus was just crazy. They ended the show and I was afraid I'd have nightmares about the lead singer. You can see how he's a little creepy in the photos. But they're a 10 piece band and really just amazing musically, especially the drummer. It was so worth the price of admission to support these performers and this beautiful space. The pictures don't do the space justice, it was all cabaret style seating, very intimate, and we had awesome seats. Not a bad way to end a beautiful weekend.


So, the photo of Erin and Sxip needs a little explaining. They had a lapel microphone in their mouths and they we sort of singing. Hey, I told you it was weird. Corn Mo sang this one song about a kid who couldn't get his pants to stay up and all I could think about was how my pants kept falling down while I was trying to move in to this apartment. I literally was crying and my face hurt I was laughing so hard.

4 comments:

Jerri said...

These photos are seriously ridiculous! The one of the blob-like creature...is that the Burlesque part? WOW! That's all I have to say.
I love you, miss you, can't believe you live right by the ART! What the heck? How did I just put that together? We MUST see a show there together sometime.
Love you!

Previously Junebug B said...

Jer- Thanks for the comment. We should see a show there when you're back in town. It's a great space. The blob like creature did not do a burlesque routine, although he did rub that big belly a lot. Sylvie's comment on the red bastard was "I'm going to have nightmares about that". That's all I have to say.

Jerri said...

hilarious! the "red" one was certainly interesting, that's for sure!

Jocelyn said...

Pretty crazy Beth. You have been getting out a lot.