Monday, October 1, 2007

Pete Seeger: The Power of Song

Even though I have a paper to finish (it's not due until Thursday) I decided to treat myself to a movie tonight. I also decided to go tonight because it might only be playing for one week and this is basically the only night I can do it. So I drove to Waltham (getting lost at EVERY turn, I could do an entire post on the lack of street signs in the Boston area) and saw the matinee showing of Pete Seeger: The Power of Song. This movie made me so happy in many ways. It made me realize how special the Old Town School of Folk Music is and made me happy that I had a chance to volunteer and take classes there. I was happy that I knew most of the songs in the movie, either from my family or Girl Scouts or OTSFM, and I can only hope that my nephews and the rest of their generation will have these songs handed down to them. I was happy to know that Pete Seeger is alive and well and still teaching children music and protesting the war and living in the house he built by hand decades ago. It was, overall, an inspiring and spirited film. I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Jerri said...

I hope they have these icons in their lives, too. They do have awesome parents that will introduce them to great songs! I have hope.

Unknown said...

If you like Pete Seeger, you may want to pick up NJ's own Bruce Springsteen's record of PS tunes. It's called 'We Shall Overcome'. It's fabulous. :)

M.s Dona said...

Jerri says "I hope they have thses icons." I say, be an icon.