Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Monday and Super Tuesday

This Monday I decided to attend another Barack Obama rally, this time in Boston. It turned into quite a time commitment. Miriam and I left Harvard Square at 5pm, we were in line at the rally by about 5:30 and literally spent about 4 hours standing in line, outside in the cold waiting to be let in. We got to know some of the people in line with us, made some phone calls for the campaign and generally enjoyed some good conversation, cheers of "Fired Up, Ready to Go!" and trying to stay in the middle of the crowd in order to stay warm. Once we made it inside we sat on the floor for about 15 minutes before the speeches started. We got to see Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, Senators John Kerry and Ted Kennedy and Caroline Kennedy and finally Barack Obama! It was a really enthusiastic crowd, tons of young people, lots of cheering and just generally being excited. I didn't get home until around 1am and my feet and legs were killing me!

Here's a little clip of the very end of Barack's speech. It's hard to hear him over the crowd.



Tuesday started out early, I voted before work and then had class immediately following work. After that I came home and watched some of the totals come in from Super Tuesday primaries. I was bummed that Massachusetts went to Hillary. I had been viewing the race through Cambridge colored glasses and just assumed that the rest of the state would follow suit. Cambridge ended up going 63% to Obama.

It's still such a close race and one that I'll be paying attention to until the bitter end. It's just so excited to be able to clearly picture either of the democratic candidates as our next president and know that it will be such a huge improvement over what we've got now. I'm already looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Jerri said...

It's just so cool that there's so much energy out there around this presidential election. As much as I really want Obama to win, I really think we can't go wrong with two very solid, very energetic, and very feisty dem candidates! YEAH!