Sunday, April 13, 2008

Community Supported Agriculture


Today I had the pleasure of heading out to Lindentree Farm in Lincoln, MA to learn about their CSA program. Some co-workers and I are splitting a share and we all had to attend orientation. It was so nice to be out in the fresh air and to begin to imagine all of the amazing vegetables (& flowers!) that will be grown in these fields. Part of the "deal" with this CSA is that we all have to put in 4 hours of work on the farm, and I have to admit I'm really looking forward to it. Above is a photo of seedlings in the greenhouse, almost ready to be transplanted. Below is a photo of the fields as they are now. I'm hoping to take a photo from the same location every time I go to witness the growth on the farm.


These are fresh parsnips. We got to taste some roasted ones while we were there today and I'm happy to say that we got to take some home! I'll be roasting them as soon as possible!


There is a strict 2 mph speed limit on the property. It gets pretty crowded with chickens and kids when it's time to pick-up our share.

2 comments:

Jerri said...

How can someone go literally 2 mph? Wow! That's some strict driving rules. That farm looks great, though! And how much fun that part of what you'll do is to volunteer at yours? We aren't volunteering at ours, but that's something that we could do if we wanted to. I'll have to look into it. Hope you have a great week and continue to remain inspired!
Jerri

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.