Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fenway and Thile


Thanks to the generosity of my friend Mark and the fact that I could take half a day off work, I got to go to the Red Sox game today! This was my first game at Fenway and it was great! We met up at Beerworks before the game, got a drink and then headed into the craziness that is Fenway Park. We had good seats on the 1st base line in the outfield. The game was pretty exciting, ending with a 2 run homer by David Ortiz in the 9th inning, but that wasn't enough to win it for the Sox. But it was still a great experience. During one of the pitching changes the crowd really got in to doing the wave and it went all the way around the ballpark about 4 times before the game got going again. I really love live baseball and I'm glad I got to see a game at Fenway. Thanks, Mark!


And now for the Thile part of my day. After the game, I got to go to a lecture/demonstration by Chris Thile, best know as the mandolin player for Nickel Creek, although his newest band is called Punch Brothers. He talked a lot about his creative process and gave us a sneak peek of some of the pieces he's currently working on, including a fugue. It was fascinating to see how the creative mind works. He was humble and humorous and had a lot to say about the differences and similarities between folk music and classical music. It was amazing to see him in such an intimate setting.

3 comments:

Jerri said...

What a day! And the weather looked absolutely gorgeous, which is great! That's awesome that you got to do both cool things in one day. I'm about to go get my mom at the airport soon for our "nesting" weekend. I can't wait! Love you! Jerri

Unknown said...

Loved it all Bethie !!!

Thanks for coming along. Glad I could help you out on your first trip to The Fens!

kevtonesuncg said...

Hi,

I really enjoyed your blog about seeing Chris. I'm a big Thile fan. Could you tell me where you got to see him in Boston? it's always fun to listen to him talk about how he creates music. My email is kslundy@uncg.edu if you get the chance to send any info on this show/lecture. Thank you so much for your time and blog!

-kevin