Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Boston/Cambridge/Somerville visit

This past weekend I had the great pleasure of heading back up to the Boston area for a visit with friends! Sylvie hosted me in her beautiful home and we had a total of 13 people for dinner on Saturday night! In the photo you can see Allison, Matt, Ashley, Ben, Lee, Shana, Karen, Amy, Peet, Sylvie, Darin and Thomas. I'm the one taking the photo.


For appetizers we had a wonderful cheese plate with crackers, apples, asian pears, bosc pears, grapes, blue cheese, cheddar and goat cheese and veggies and dip. We made a delicious minestone to start and then served 2 pastas, one primavera in a light red sauce and one with sauteed spinach and sundried tomatoes and salad and bread. And then for dessert we had fruit, cheese and honey, amazing almond ganache cookies from Amy, wonderful vegan chocolate cupcakes made by Karen and coffee and tea. It was a relaxed evening with great conversation and some of the most wonderful people I know. I'm a lucky person to have so many great friends.

It was also great to get to hang out with Sylvie while we did the menu planning, grocery shopping, and cooking. It's amazing how even after not seeing each other for a few months you can just fall right into place. Sylvie and Miriam's apartment is also one of those places where I just instantly feel like I'm home. Miriam wasn't able to join us because she's on a fellowship in DC right now (you can read about it here).

On Sunday Matt and I saw photo exhibits at the Photographic Resource Center and the Museum of Fine Arts and then I got to see The Year of Magical Thinking at Lyric Stage (which was heart-wrenching, but beautifully performed). After that we had dinner with Sylvie at Rose Bud Diner in Davis Square, and then met up with Lee for a rematch of sorts at Sacco's Bowl Haven. You may remember that the last time I was in Boston I got a bunch of folks together for my first outing at candlepin bowling. This time it was a smaller crew, just the four of us, but it was SO fun. I think we were all in pretty silly moods and I left my camera out, so there are actually some photos of me. This is one of my favorites:

A great shot of me and Sylvie!

One of the charming things about Sacco's is that nothing is automated, you even have to push the button to clear the lane. I was very bad at remembering to "flush" after my turn, so here I am being reminded for about the 10th time:

Lee was sad about only getting 9 pins down instead of 10 (as you can see in the background). I guess all that practicing on Wii Bowling didn't really help too much. Good thing Matt was there to console him.

Here we all are after three fabulous rounds of candlepin bowling. What a fun night!

On the way home we made an amusing stop at the grocery store so Lee could buy toilet paper (nothing is funnier than buying toilet paper when you're giddy).

It was a special treat to be able to stay in the area until Monday. I got to stop by my old stomping grounds at the Harvard Fine Arts Library and catch up with my former co-workers there. It was great to see everyone and it looks like I'll get to see a bunch of them in March at the VRA Conference in Toronto.

I had such a fun time this weekend, as I always do when I head back to Boston. Thanks to everyone there for always making me feel at home even when it's my home-away-from-home.

2 comments:

Jerri said...

Great post. As I was reading, I was reminded that it was just this weekend last year that we were all in Chicago again and that felt like home-away-from-home. Glad you found another one in such a short time and I'm happy for you that you got to see all of your friends. LOVE YOU!

Jocelyn said...

That meal sounded amazing. That was probably so much fun to put together. Did you feel like you were on top chef??? I love that shot of you forgetting to clear the lane.