Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Candlepin Bowling at Sacco's Bowl Haven

This past weekend I went up to the Boston area to hang out with friends. On Saturday night a bunch of us met up for candlepin bowling at Sacco's Bowl Haven in Somerville, MA. Candlepin is a little different than regular bowling, the balls are smaller, the pins are skinnier and you get to roll 3 times per turn instead of 2. It was invented in Worcester, MA, so it's definitely a New England thing. It was one of the things on my list of things to do before I left Boston that I didn't get to before I left Boston, so I was glad to be able to check it off, and I'm sure I'll do it again, it was so much fun.

Here's the whole crew: Amy, me, Matt, Nick, Sylvie, Miriam, Lee, Ulysses and Allison.


Sacco's has been around forever and there is nothing electronic about it. The ball return depends on gravity to keep it going and after each turn you have to push a little button to clear the lane. Scoring is all pencil and paper and math in your head. Here's a funny little video from the evening:

3 comments:

Ms. Ann said...

how wonderful! i miss all those folks a lot. and i had no idea candlepin was invented in worcester. i new it was only new england, but didn't know how much :)

Jocelyn said...

Looks like you had a great weekend!

Unknown said...

No joke, that is awesome! Great timing, I am glad I could be a part of it.