Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Funky Carrots, Monster Squash, Tomatillos and Sunflowers

Ah, July in the garden is full of good things. This past weekend, I walked into the garden and was greeted by big, blooming sunflowers! I think I've mentioned that I have the habit of talking to my garden and my vocal response was "Hi Ladies! You look great!". Don't they?

The tomatillos are also doing really well, even though I still don't know what I'm going to do with them, but don't they look cool?

I pulled some more carrots for my lunch salads this week and I've finally found the funky carrots I was expecting all along. Any little pebble or rock can cause the root to split, or just stunt it's growth (as on the right). They still taste great, they're just a little funky looking.

Oh, and doesn't everyone somehow miss a squash that's ready to pick at one point or another? Here is my monster squash. It weighed in at 1.6 lbs! The "normal" sized one was just about half a pound.

And another shot of the sunflowers! They're about 5 feet tall and just so cheery.

I've also been getting some cucumbers, so my lunch salad consists of lettuce from the farmer's market, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes from my garden and a homemade dressing and sometimes some homemade croutons. Nothing is finer!

I also have broccoli and green beans that are getting bigger by the day! Can't wait to harvest those soon, too.

4 comments:

Trinity said...

Yum! I think your growing season is ahead of ours. Full sized tomatoes have not yet made an appearance here. I am growing some tomatoes in my garden box and think I will even get some big ones! Isn't growing your own food so rewarding!
...And, your "ladies" do look great. The carrots are amusing and I love the warty squash!

Ann said...

what a beautiful garden :)

Previously Junebug B said...

I've only been getting cherry and grape tomatoes so far. I'm still waiting for the big ones (including the Early Girls, which haven't been too early).

Jerri said...

These veggies are looking so cool. I am so impressed with the way you always find positive things to do--like gardening--despite the not so great feeling you have about living in NJ right now. Although, maybe that's on an upswing, just like your sunflowers? :)