Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fall Garden

I've been working hard to make the garden last as long as possible. A few weeks ago I tore out everything that was left from the summer garden and turned over the dirt, added some compost and made my fall garden. I have some agugula, peas, spinach and 2 rows of beets. My whole plot is surrounded by overgrown gardens and tons of weeds! Not many other gardeners have put in the effort to make a fall garden, instead most have just gone to rot.

One plot was taken over by morning glories. It was a treat to see them in full bloom this morning:
And one of the plots near the fence has some great flowers in bloom now, too. Cosmos are some of my favorites and these are particularly cheery.

The community garden experience has been pretty interesting. I was hoping for a little more community with my community gardening, but it's been very hands off. I've really enjoyed having the plot, and I'd like to continue growing my own food when possible.

Here's hoping the frost doesn't come until late this year and my fall garden has a chance to grow.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I can't wait to share in your fall harvest - keep up the good work!

Trinity said...

Are ever tempted to take over other people's garden space? I think I would be!

Previously Junebug B said...

I was tempted when the plot next to me was left open for a while at the beginning of the season, but now it would be so much work to make it happen. Although, I will admit to wandering around the other plots and seeing what's still viable. It's amazing how big and wild Basil will get when left unpicked and untended!