Tuesday, September 1, 2009

One year in Princeton

Today, Sept. 1, marks one year of my life spent in Princeton. I have to admit, it hasn't been the easiest year of my life, but it hasn't been all bad, either. It was a huge risk to move to a place where I knew no one just because I was offered a job. But it has it's perks, right? I'm much closer to family, which, honestly, is the best part about living here. I have friends relatively nearby in Philly and NYC and other parts of NJ. And as far as Princeton goes, it has an amazing public library and some of the best options for ice cream that I've ever encountered. Another unexpected perk (if you're looking for a silver lining kind of perk) is that Princeton is fairly centrally located and I've been getting out of Princeton as much as possible on the weekends. This has allowed me to drive to such wonderful locales as Boston and Worcester, MA, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, the Jersey shore, the Barnes Foundation in Lower Merion, PA, Philly, Brooklyn and soon DC.

I've also met some good people here. It was slow-going at first, but I can now comfortably sat that I have a small group of friends in and around town. It's not quite the same as living in Boston or Chicago, but it's not exactly torture.

I can't believe it's Sept. 1.

4 comments:

Mom said...

It's hard to believe it's been a year since you started at Princeton - quite a milestone! It's been wonderful having you so close to home. Love you!

Jerri said...

I can't believe you've been there for a year already, either. That means a lot has happened in everyone's lives. I'm so glad, however, that you're feeling a bit more happy there and that you are closer to home and some really fun friends! Have fun in DC! Can't wait to hear what you'll be doing there.

Trinity said...

Happy Anniversary! That means that it has been a year since Paul and I left Boston, too. It is amazing how much can happen in a year. Lots of ups and downs this past year for many people we know.

I am glad that despite Princeton not being the perfect fit for you, you have the mindset to make the best of it and focus on the benefits. Even if those benefits are getting outta there whenever you can :)

Jocelyn said...

Great job on the year milestone. I like the comments about the perks, although one major unperk or lack of perk, is that you are still over 2,000 miles from me. booo hooo