Sunday, October 24, 2010

Soufflé!

On Saturday night, Mac and I ran a bunch of errands together and after getting home way later than anticipated, I still wanted to make soufflés for dinner. Ever since I got a copy of Judith Jones' book The Pleasures of Cooking for One, I've been wanting to attempt the soufflé that is so beautifully photographed on the cover, and when I was in Minneapolis I picked up a second souffle dish, so now I could make two (So much for "cooking for one")! So I doubled the recipe, and after Mac and I both made our arms hurt from whisking the egg whites so much to get them to "soft peaks", I finally put everything together, put it in the oven and hoped for the best.

Mine didn't quite puff up as nicely as the one on the cover of the book, but I realized later that my soufflé dish is much deeper, and I was still happy with how much they rose. And now that I've successfully made the basic egg and cheese recipe, I'm looking forward to trying to add some veggies and maybe even venture into the world of chocolate soufflés! Thankfully I have a taste-tester who's willing to try almost anything.

2 comments:

Christa said...

Souffles are lovely but mostly I love the bumper sticker on your fridge...seems like you live by that one!!

Jocelyn said...

Awesome job. After reading Christa's comment I looked at your fridge and also loved that bumpersticker and how neat your fridge looks. You definitely just moved in because you don't have the classic fridge clutter that happens after a year or two.