Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanksgiving with Veggie Dinner Club!


Thanksgiving dinner was a success! Trinity, Paul, Miriam, Tim, Sylvie, Ann, Lee and I all got to share a great meal: Cheese and crackers, Ginger Carrot Soup, an amazing main-course salad with garlic aioli dressing, Winter White Puree and brownies with cookie dough ice cream! It was a candlelit feast and a great way to get into the holiday mood.

In case you're unfamiliar with the amazingness that is Winter White Puree, here is the recipe:

Winter White Puree
Makes 6 cups
1 lb. white turnips
1 lb. parsnips
1 tart green apple
1/2 lb. cauliflower
10 tablespoons unsalted butter (I told you it was good!)
3/4 cup heavy cream (really, really, good!)
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1. Peel the turnips and parsnips, peel and core the apple, and cut them all into 1 inch cubes. Separate the cauliflower florets.
2. Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil in a stockpot. Add the vegetables and apple and boil until they are tender enough to pierce easily with a fork, about 15 minutes. Strain in a colander.
3.Mash vegetables with a potato masher. Add the butter in small pieces. Add the cream. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
4.Place the mixture in a 2-quart oven-proof casserole. Smooth the top and sprinkle with grated parmesan.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned on top.

ENJOY! Happy Thanksgiving!

I will be spending most of my Thanksgiving holiday in the car, but for a good reason. I'll write more about that once I get back.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

That looks so good.
Do you have the recipe for the soup??

Previously Junebug B said...

Actually, the soup was my least favorite part of the meal. I've made Carrot Ginger soup that I've really liked, but this recipe was too watery for me. I'll try and find the good that I used when I liked it.