Thursday, December 27, 2007

High School Musical - the reunion

Last night I went out with some friends from high school. There is only one place in town to get a drink that isn't super sketchy or TGIFriday's, so you're always bound to run into someone you know, especially during the holidays. Sometimes this is good and sometimes this requires getting a booth in the back of the room and trying not to make eye-contact. Last night it was a good thing. I ran into a bunch of people who I did theatre with in high school. One is living in LA, doing the acting thing, only not so much while the writer's strike is happening; others are living at home, buying condos, selling real estate in Vermont or singing in rock bands. The last time I saw these people they couldn't even legally drink, and now we're all pushing 30. It was great to reconnect. Great to hear about other people who weren't there, and just good to know that everyone is doing well.

I haven't been to my parent's house since the holidays last year and it's always a little weird to be back in the town where I grew up and notice how things have changed. We have a Starbucks now and an over-55 development where a Christmas tree farm used to be. And some trees have been cut down in my parent's yard. But even with changes, some bigger than others, it's always nostalgic to be back in town.

Looking forward to doing it again next year...

1 comment:

Jerri said...

What a sweet post! It makes me miss seeing my high school friends. I'll have to make a trek back to Oneida, NY sometime for the post-Thanksgiving get together at our town's local watering hole that everyone gathers at. How fun!