Sunday, May 17, 2009

Start of the Growing Season

So here is my community garden plot. It's about 10' x 11' and I have big plans! In the front corner I have orange and red bell pepper plants, next to that is a mound with yellow summer squash, the rows next to that are full of carrot seeds. The rows behind that have little arugula seedlings in them and then 4 different types of tomatoes where the cages are. I also have some sunflower seeds planted and I'm hoping to squeeze in cucumbers and bush beans, too! I also have herbs and one tomato plant growing on my front porch.

I'm hoping for a good growing season. But the plot was a little rougher around the edges than I expected. There are TONS of rocks in the soil, and not just rocks, but glass shards, plastic bags, old row coverings and all kinds of random stuff. You can tell that they pretty much just plowed over a big empty lot and didn't think too hard about actually growing plants there. But I'm up for the challenge! Where I planted the carrots, I spent about an hour just loosening up the dirt and pulling out every little (and big) rock that I could find. I hope they turn out OK, and if nothing else, it'll be an interesting experiment.

I'm looking forward to keeping track of how things progress in the garden. Stay tuned for updates!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Have you bought some compost to add to the soil. I bet this soil would love it. I added a bag to my 8x10 raised bed. Most garden places sell it. I got my pretty big bag for $4. Not too shabby. Can't wait to see how everything grows.