Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Time with Grammy

I decided to take the long weekend and drive out to the Pittsburgh area to see my 91-year-old Grammy and then to hang out in the city with my friend, Jay. I left Princeton on Saturday morning and got to Grammy's in Jeannette around 3 o'clock. I was excited to see her new kitchen (which was just completely redone, for the first time in the house's 65 year existence). It really is beautiful, and such a change from the old kitchen! Although I have to admit that I sorta miss the old red and white checkered linoleum flooring.

Our big outing was to go and get our nails done! Grammy got a manicure (bright red, as usual) and I treated myself to a pedicure since it's already sandal-season in NJ. It was a lovely little trip and both of us were happy with the results.

Once we got home, we enjoyed the afternoon sitting on the front porch and chatting. Grammy has a nest of baby birds in her birdhouse and it was fun to see them so excited about being fed.

After sitting on the porch we went inside and looked at some old photo albums. Grammy told me about the people in the photos and I wrote down everything she said and slid the paper into the front of each album. It was fun to go through these old photos and see her groups of friends and talk to her about when she was growing up and how she met my Gramps. After seeing his high school graduation photo she said "Oh Boy, was he handsome! It's amazing no one at high school snatched him up!" Which then prompted me to ask her how they met (they both worked at McKee Glass in Jeannette). It's always interesting to me to hear her talk about her life.

I stayed for dinner and lemon mirangue pie and then headed out to meet up with Jay, about half an hour away in Pittsburgh.

Grammy lives on the biggest hill! This is my car parked outside her house:

2 comments:

Jerri said...

It is so darn cute that you went to get a mani/pedi with your Grammy. How fun!

Trinity said...

Documenting those stories is a great idea. My grandma on my mom's side has started giving away photos because her memory of who the people in them are is gone. It would be awesome if we knew who some of those people were so we could remind her!