Thursday, May 12, 2011

Startin' the Garden

So the garden got off to an early start this year. Last year the plots weren't turned over and marked until almost the end of May, but this year I got in to plant on May 7th. Mom and Dad came to help out and we had quite a productive afternoon. We planted tomatoes, cucumbers, Brussels sprouts, basil, and pepper plants and arugula seeds.

The plots were nicely marked and even had our names on them, even if they were misspelled! I feel like the Community Garden is a little more well organized this year. We even got piles of compost to add to our plots.

It was a great way to spend an afternoon with my parents, and the help was much appreciated. And since it was the day before Mother's Day, I also got to give my mom her card and gift in person.

Since that first day, I've gone back to water and plant some green bean plants that I had sprouting in my apartment. When I was doing this, a little girl, Hillary, and her mom came through to look at their plot and Hillary was very eager to help me out with my green beans. The mom thought that her daughter was intruding, but I showed her what to do and she did a great job. That's one of the joys of community gardens. It's rare that a stranger walks into your backyard garden and offers to help.

Here's hoping for a good, productive growing season!

1 comment:

Christa said...

Yay! Garden sounds awesome!! Curious how the brussel sprouts grow. I love 'em and have a mental list of things to plant in my "someday garden". Nice of your parents to help out too...such a great family!