Friday, October 12, 2007

Harvard making history

Today will mark an historical moment for Harvard. Drew Gilpin Faust will be installed (it's NOT an innauguration) as the 28th president and first woman president of the University. Needless to say, there has been quite the flurry of activity around campus. And I love the pomp and circumstance. Harvard is almost 400 years old, and they have so much tradition it amazes me. Yesterday I went to the archives to see the original Harvard Charter of 1650. I have to say, I was impressed. They only bring it out on very special occasions and the installation of a president is one of those rare occasions.

Here are the banners on Widener Library with the VERITAS seal:


I'm bummed that I won't be able to attend the ceremony as I'm off to Buffalo for my cousin's wedding. But if you want to watch it live today, it will be webcast here at 2pm today only. I'm sure they'll post it online later and I'll post that link once it's up.

2 comments:

Jerri said...

Oh my goodness, Bethy. What a funny thing that you'd rather be at Hahhhhvard for an installment than at a wedding.
Have fun in Buffalo! You'll look fab-oo in your new dress. Safe travels! And we'll talk to you soon.
Hilarious that you're off to Buffalo and I'm off to Fargo. HA!

Previously Junebug B said...

I didn't say I'd RATHER be at the installment, it's just a bummer that they happen to be at the same time.