Tuesday, November 4, 2008

That's not all...

So I got to work and opened my email to see that they still needed volunteers to wave signs at busy intersections during rush hour today. So, I walked into my boss's office and said "I need to leave at 3 to wave signs for Obama." This was more of a statement than a question. She said she had to think about coverage and see if anyone else was able to stay until 5 and that I should have had this approved days ago and why couldn't I go after work, etc, etc... Well, thankfully she let me go (so, yeah, I worked a total of about 2 hours today). So I left work at 3, ran home to put on my Obama gear (t-shirt which is way too big thanks to Move-On sending me an extra large, and a button on my jacket), grabbed a snack, since I didn't eat lunch, grabbed my camera and headed over to the meeting place for sign waving. I got there and there were a bunch of people and 4 of us got assigned to Brunswick Circle on Rt. 206 (it's a pretty busy intersection for those of you who don't know it).

We had fun waving our signs, giving thumbs up to those who honked as they passed by, and yelling "Obama!" when a few brave souls yelled "McCain!" at us. We also got a good response from bus drivers, garbage trucks and Mister Softee even gave us a toot and a wave. It was great to see so many people, we even had one woman stopped at the stop sign lean out her window and yell "I voted for Obama at 6am!". The whole time was really wonderful and we stayed until a cop pulled over and told us that we weren't supposed to be on the inside of the circle and that we were causing traffic issues... Oops. But that's OK, it was getting dark anyway and we were planning on heading out soon. So that was my exciting afternoon and now I'm off to the public library to watch the results come in.

No comments: