Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Denver fun stuff

I found myself in Denver for the Art Libraries Society of North America Annual Conference from May 1-6. It was an excellent conference and a chance to see good friends Ania and Ken. Before the conference officially got underway, Ania picked me up in Denver and we headed to Boulder to have lunch at the Boulder Dushanbe Tea House. It is a beautiful building and the food was great.


We also took a little time to check out the Celestial Seasonings tea factory. We missed the factory tour, but we got to taste any tea we wanted. It was fun and I bought some cool brew tea, which I usually have trouble finding in the grocery store.

One afternoon during the conference I took the chance to walk around and see a little bit of Denver. I ended up in the area of the Coors Field while a game was going on. I got there in time for the 7th inning stretch and stayed until the beginning of the 9th.


I ended up standing behind a family of Red Sox fans.


I also ended up walking around and seeing some architecture, and some mountains.


There is a 40 foot blue bear peering into the convention center:


And this is the Denver Art Museum:


On the last night I was there I got to hang out with Ania and Ken again. This time we went into Boulder for dinner at Mountain Sun Brewery. We all had very different beers, mine is the dark one on the left, Nitro Java Porter. It was great. This also happened to be the 8th anniversary of Ania and Ken's relationship. It didn't feel too awkward to celebrate with them, since I've been given credit for introducing them in the first place.


After dinner we took a walk on Pearl Street and wandered into Powell's Sweet Shoppe where I found candy cigarettes and Ken found Big League Chew. We all walked around the mall with huge wads of gum in our mouths trying to make the biggest bubble.


So after a good dinner and fun times hanging out, Ania drove me back to my hotel and I got on the plane this morning and headed back to Boston. This is the view over Western Mass.

Overall it was a great trip, and even though I didn't talk too much about the actual conference here (there wasn't much to take photos of), I learned a lot and met an amazing amount of people who are in this Art Librarian world. One of my favorite speakers was David Silver, the closing Plenary speaker. Here is a link to the blog post he used to present his ideas on literacy. I think it's worth checking out.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

How fun, Bethy! Your post is so great and it looks like you had a blast. Great photos! It was fun to see Ania and Ken from afar, too! Love you and welcome back to Bean-town.