Monday, May 12, 2008

Fun Sunday: Lilacs and Passim

On Sunday I woke up and decided it was a perfect day for a bike ride. I've been wanting to find the Minuteman Bikeway for a while now and took the chance and wander through Somerville until I came across it. It was a nice meandering bike ride, even though some of it was very uphill, but once I found the bike path it was totally worth it. And now I know a much quicker way to get there. I rode out to Spy Pond in Arlington and then turned around and headed back to Davis Square. I stopped at Diesel Cafe for a bagel with dill havarti and then headed home. It was a great way to start a beautiful day.


Around noon I went out to the Arnold Arboretum for their annual Lilac Sunday celebration. It was a beautiful day, a little bit chilly, but worth it for the Lilacs. I went with Paul and Trinity and we met up with their friends for a wonderful little picnic. This is the only day throughout the year that the Arboretum allows picnics. Here's me and Trinity basking in the sun and the amazing smell of all of those lilacs:


The lilacs came in many shapes, colors, sizes and smells. Here is a white variety:


After a great morning bike ride and afternoon of picnicing and walking through the flowers, I went to Club Passim for the Falcon Ridge Preview Tour. Anthony DaCosta, Joe Crookston, Randall Williams and Lindsay Mac all performed. But I have to say, it was Lindsay Mac who I was most impressed with. She holds her cello and strums it like a guitar. Here is a photo to give you an idea:


All of the performers were strong, and I'm looking forward to the festival this year.

Another fun day!

No comments: