Saturday, May 31, 2008

Working on the farm

Part of the deal of getting a farm share at Lindentree Farm is that you have to work 4 hours at some point during the summer. I decided that I wanted to get it done with early, so I headed over this morning and got in on some planting and seeding. Here is a photo of the tons of basil that was planted by our little crew this morning:

It smelled SO good. I can't wait to get some of it in my part of the share! I also helped to plant loads of summer squash. Some of this I did with a trowel and most of it I just dug in with my bare hands. It was so nice to have some great soil to be in. All of this was done under the threat of rain, with thunder booming in the distance. After the planting was finished, I got to seed some lettuce in the greenhouse. Lettuce seeds are very tiny! Each tray has 98 seeds planted in it and we planted 7 trays. So that's a lot of lettuce. And this is the second round of lettuces that are being planted. The "empty" trays in the background are what I was working on.

While we were planting the lettuce the clouds opened up and drenched the farm with a quick downpour. It smelled so good. By the time I was finished, I had a huge blister on my hand (thanks to the trowel). Note all of that good organic dirt on my hands!

Once I got home and showered, I was so exhausted that I ended up taking an hour nap and I'm still feeling a little tired from my morning. But it was totally worth it. It's amazing how you feel so connected to your food when you truly have a hand in helping it grow.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

What a cool post! The farm looks beautiful. I can't wait to get our first CSA share sometime mid-June. Just think, you can join in on ours when you visit in July! Yippeee!!!!!!!