Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Love the long weekend

So much fun crammed into one weekend, I can hardly stand it. On Friday morning I got the inspiration to rent some photo equiptment from Calumet for the long weekend. It's a great deal because for the 1 day rental price I got everything from Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning (they were closed Monday for Memorial Day). So I got a set of studio lights and a 35mm camera with a macro (super close-up) lens. I had a lot of fun playing around with all of it. I shot film all weekend, but once I get the negs scanned I'll post some photos. Lots of fruits and veggies and project I've had in my head involving circles. We'll see what comes of that. Both of my roommates were gone for the weekend, so I wasn't bothering anyone too much. Here's what the dining room looked like all weekend:

On Saturday, Trinity and I headed down to the Hatch Shell for EarthFest and a picnic. It was a beautiful day and there was all kinds of free stuff including plants! I got some herbs and some petunias. After having our picnic and hearing some music we walked over to the Public Garden and Boston Common to see if we could run into the annual Zombie March. On our way through the Garden we got to see some swans and some swan boats:

And after patiently waiting for a little bit, we also got to see some Zombies! It was pretty funny to see all of the tourists and shoppers reactions to the Zombie March. We walked down Newbury Street while they were walking on the other side and so many people made hilarious comments like "I think it's anti-war or something..." and "They totally already did that on Project Runway!" (Disclaimer: I don't know much about Project Runway, but I thought that was pretty funny) The juxtaposition of hoity-toity boutique shoppers, tourists and Zombies was worth the wait.


On Sunday morning I headed out to Rowley, MA for the Todd's Farm flea market. I can't believe I didn't take any photos, but it was a great time. I open at 5am (I didn't get there until about 8am) and it's full of all kinds of interesting folks. I found some good stuff like The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest, a cookbook by Mollie Katzen for only $1, a card game called Milles Bornes that I played with Miriam and really enjoyed and they don't seem to make it anymore as far as I can tell. And last but not least I picked up an interesting old (non-functioning) Kodak six-16 camera from the 1930s. The thought was that I'd take it home and photograph it with the macro lens getting all of the details. Sunday was spent taking photos and then Sylvie and Miriam stopped by for a delicious dinner of french bread pizza. It was so good.

Monday started out with a fit of inspiration. I decided that I'd use my early morning to take a bike ride. I thought I'd head out to the Minuteman Trail again and try to go a little further than I did the last time. And yes, I did go further! I made it all the way out to Lexington, which I figured to be about 17 miles round trip. Now, I know this doesn't seem like much to a serious cyclist, (my roommate took a 70 mile ride last weekend) but that very well may be the longest trip I've taken on a bike. And it was super fun. I stopped at one point to swing on a swing set, which I haven't done in ages and on the way home I stopped again at Diesel Cafe in Davis Square for a bagel. It was a great way to start the morning. Once I got home I planted some morning glories and moonflowers along the chainlink fence around our house. Then I took some more photos, cleaned off the porch and got ready for my Memorial Day BBQ.

Trinity, Paul, Amy, Miriam, Sylvie and Amelia all came over and we had quite a spread. Veggie burgers and veggie skewers on the grill, potato salad, salt & vinegar chips, green salad, and brownies for dessert. All that and good conversation, too! It was a perfect night to sit out on the porch and enjoy the evening.


And after everyone left there were still a few photos I wanted to take (of that old camera from the flea market) so I shot those and headed to bed.


Now back to reality, back to work, back to job-hunting. At least it's only a 4-day week. :)

4 comments:

Jerri said...

Holy cow, Beth! I know you are so good at cramming it all in and now you've done it again! Great job. I love that you rode 17 miles, too! WOO-HOO! Hope you have a great week and feel rejuvinated after such a wonderful weekend. Love you!

Jocelyn said...

What a blog Bethy!!!! Sounds like an amazing weekend.

dragonslayer318in11 said...

Mille Bourne? That game is awesome!! Mo, her dad and I used to play it all the time!!! I can't wait to see the photos you warked on!

dragonslayer318in11 said...

I meant "worked on!". Duh!!