Thursday, May 22, 2008

Farewell Bagel Aubrey!

Well, today marks the end of an era. For as long as I've lived in Cambridge (almost a whole year now) I have been stopping at Darwin's on Cambridge St. on my way in to work at least twice a week to get a bagel (wheat or sesame), toasted and sometimes with veggie cream cheese on the side. The majority of the time, this goofy order has been taken by Aubrey, who even early in the morning always has a smile on her face and something nice to say. Well, today is her last day at Darwin's. She is moving to Canada to go to grad school at McGill. I'm really happy for her, but bummed that I won't have her around to perfectly toast my bagel and ask how things are going. It's tough to find great service with a smile these days, and even tougher to see it move to Canada.

So after giving her a hug over the counter, I went on my way with my perfectly toasted bagel in hand and noticed that the lilacs were turning brown and not smelling as nice, but the irises are starting to bloom. I also saw a little baby robin hopping around among some blooming rhododendrons. Again, nature reminding me that life goes on, things change and everything will be OK.

Hopefully I'll find a new job soon and start my own next adventure, preferably somewhere near a place where I can get a toasted bagel with a smile. :)

2 comments:

Jerri said...

Is she going to McGill for Library School? Wouldn't that be something? Love ya!

Jocelyn said...

You have such a great perspective on life. Can't wait to hear what happens in the months to come.