Wednesday, May 28, 2008

So long it's been good to know ya, Utah

I was sad to hear of the passing of Utah Phillips this past weekend. He was a national treasure, a singer, songwriter and storyteller. I had the pleasure of seeing him perform at both the Old Town School of Folk Music and Club Passim. At both venues I had the chance to shake his hand, look him in the eye and thank him for an amazing performance. He will be missed.

Here is his obituary from the NY Times, and here is an open letter he wrote on May 14th describing his failing health and still full of humor, passion and wit. Read more about him on his website.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

Oh my goodness. That's really sad. Yes, we were blessed with seeing him many times at the Old Town School. At least I can say that I saw good old Utah. What an incredible man. So long it's been good to know ya, indeed. Thanks for sharing those letters and the obituary. I didn't know otherwise.