Monday, September 22, 2008

Fun weekends...

So it seems that my new life in Jersey goes something like this: work all week, watch netflix in the evening (or run errands or do laundry) and then head out for the weekend for something fun. This past weekend I headed back to Cambridge! It was great to be back in my old element. I got in late Friday night and headed to Ann's going away gathering where I got to see her and Lee, Sylvie and Miriam and Allison among other folks. It's crazy to think that Ann is in Savannah now. I'm looking forward to visiting her at some point (hopefully in the winter when it's colder up here and nice down there). The sad part is that her hubby Lee has to stay in Boston for a few more months to finish the semester he started as Prof. Lee.

On Saturday Sylvie and Miriam and I got breakfast at Darwin's (and they still got my order wrong, just like old times). Then I met up with my friend Matt for a great day in the city. The weather was beautiful! We walked all over the place from the Mapparium at the Mary Baker Eddy Library to the MFA to the Gardner Museum to El Pelon for burritos. Then we took the train back downtown and saw Burn After Reading, the new Coen Brothers movie. It was good. We got a drink in Cambridge after that and then called it a night. I went back to Sylvie and Miriam's, where I was staying, and the three of us stayed up chatting for a while. It is so nice to stay at their apartment. It felt like a second home when I lived in Cambridge and it still feels like home when I come to visit. They are truly wonderful friends and hostesses. I especially enjoyed their shower with a tub (since mine is a stand-up the size of a shoebox).

On Sunday morning, Lee, Matt, Miriam and I met up for brunch at Veggie Planet. It was great to see everyone, and even though I didn't often do brunch at Veggie Planet, I felt like I had to go once while I was in town just to support the local vegetarian restaurant (since there aren't any in Princeton). After that, Lee and I did a little shopping in the square and then he helped me load up my car with stuff that was being stored in Sylvie and Miriam's basement. I said good bye to Sylvie and Miriam, dropped Lee off at his bike in Harvard Square and then headed to Toscanini's to meet up with my friend Nick for some ice cream. It was great to see him. On my way out of town I dropped off Tim's cooler on the back porch of (his current) my old house and it looked like the morning glories had seen better days.

It was a weekend filled with lots of good people, lots of good energy and I have to say a twinge of sadness that it's now a place to go visit and not to live.

And to top it all off, I wasn't feeling 100% the whole weekend and I think I just pushed myself too much. The drive home was easy traffic-wise, but I could feel myself getting worse. I stopped at John and Jill's on the way home for some dinner and a massage from Jill, which was so necessary. Sebastian was already asleep, but Nathaniel and Emerson where in rare form, dancing to great music and just generally making me laugh. I was exhausted during the one-hour drive from their house and pretty much went straight to bed once I got home. I woke up this morning determined to go into work, but went home sick around 11am.

The weekend totally wore me out. But it was totally worth it. :)

8 comments:

Jerri said...

oh no! you're sick now? i hope you feel better soon. ahhh...a massage from jill sounds so nice to me right now. wish i could get one. my shoulders are killing me! trinity and i are going to a movies for moms showing of "burn after reading" with zoe tomorrow for only $5 downtown. looking forward to it. they turn the lights a bit up, expect nursing, and diaper changes, and turn the movie down a bit for snoozing babies. i hope it works out!

Jocelyn said...

Beth, you might need to slow down a bit. It must have been such a fun weekend, despite all the running around. The Van Hee's are trying to recoup as well from our fun weekend in Minneapolis. That is so cool Jerri gets to go to a mommy matinee. I never did get a chance to do that while Meadow was in her stationary stage. Those times are long gone.

Jerri said...

just read jocey's comment. yes. i want to do this before i have to go back to work or i'll regret it forever. love you!

Previously Junebug B said...

Just a word on the movie - there are some violent parts that I covered my eyes for. Not sure how a baby will react to that. But I think it's worth seeing. Have fun!

Lacey said...

There are these movies here in Houston called "cry baby matinees" that are the same thing...take your babies to a new release (they showed Sex and the City earlier in the summer) and don't sweat it if she/he cries! I love that principle and am sad I didn't do that on my maternity leave. Boo me. :(

Beth, I feel like I am seriously living vicariously through you. I love reading about your adventures!!! I think you also just described my perfect week...work and netflix during the week, adventure on the weekends!

Jerri said...

i did feel a bit bad about all the "f" words and the violence. why didn't i expect that from the coen brothers? but honestly zoe slept through the entire thing, so i don't feel too bad about it. even though i totally turned my head at the end when the worst most violent part happened. and zoe slept through that, too. thank goodness! i might have been better off seeing the chick flick, "the women," but that's okay. i'm glad i saw it. and i'll still have to netflix it bc i'm sure mark will want to see it, too. he couldn't go bc he had class.

Previously Junebug B said...

There's something great about the way that John Malkovitch says the f-word though.

I'm glad she slept through it.

Trinity said...

I think it sounds so great from him because he lingers on each sound of the word...that is my theory :)

I wish I could've gone for a visit to Boston with you. I am starting to feel a little homesick/nostalgic for it. Especially since the best knitting weekend in New England is just a few weeks away!