Thursday, April 2, 2009

Something new...

Well, it's spring and I'm excited about trying out some new things. Finding some new bike paths, meeting new people, growing new vegetables (golden beets!) and just generally being open to trying new things.

Last night was one of these adventures. I found a book group on Meet-up.com that sounded interesting. It's called the One Drink Minimum Book Club. And the book we read was Three Cups of Tea, which I've been meaning to read for a while now. All of this sounded promising until I got to the part about meeting at Chili's. That's right, the chain restaurant with NOTHING vegetarian on the menu, and it's on Rt. 1, which in my opinion is the ugliest road EVER with nothing but big chain stores and malls. I try to avoid it at all costs, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Well, I decided to suck it up and find Chili's (I'd never been there) and I'm actually glad I did, not for the food, but for the company.

They had Sam Adams on tap and I got chips and salsa to share with the table. It was a smaller group than I expected, only 5 women showed up when 15 RSVP'd, but the conversation was good and they seem like a nice group of women. The book is really interesting (I recommned it if you haven't read it already) and there was a good variety of insight from different people, one woman had worked at Ten Thousand Villages, another had just gotten back from Nepal, etc...

At the end of the evening we discussed possible choices for next month and one book that came up was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (which I've already read, but wouldn't mind revisiting). I suggested that if that is the choice (it's voted on online by the group) that we should consider meeting somewhere that supports local food in honor of the theme of the book. The moderator suggested Whole Foods and thankfully someone else piped up with a suggestion for a local restaurant that is known for it's support of local farmers (and there are TONS of local farmers). So hopefully that will work out and I'll get the best of both worlds: good food and good conversation.

3 comments:

Trinity said...

That sounds like a really promising group, minus the Chili's part, of course. I miss my Cambridge book club. I should try to find one here in Minneapolis. I am glad you finally got to read Three Cups of Tea. I am reading the Bookseller of Kabul right now. I seem to be into books about Afghanistan lately.

Jerri said...

That's cool that you got out and did something new. I'm glad that you liked it, despite the Chili's part (weird). Love ya!

Kim Dittmar said...

Glad you ended up having a good time. And next time you end up at Chili's, they actually serve veggie burgers...I know this from many trips to Chili's with Alex, who is a huge fan despite my protest! ;)