Monday, January 21, 2008

Good Day, Yesterday...

Well folks, I did it. I missed a day of my "blogging every day in January" goal. But (I think) it was for a good reason. Basically, I didn't want to turn my computer on last night.

I had a great day getting some stuff accomplished around the house in the morning. And then around 1pm, Sylvie picked me up and we headed to Salem to go to the Peabody Essex Museum. The exhibit I really wanted to see, Accidental Mysteries, was wonderful. It is a collection of vernacular photography, or people's snapshots, but ones that had a story to tell. One of my favorites was this:All of the photos are from the John and Teenuh Foster Collection of vernacular photography and this one is titled Girls with Watermelon c. 1955. In the gallery, it was enlarged to probably about 2 x3 feet. The expressions on the girl's faces are priceless and it's just funny to think about what's going on here. It also made me wonder who took this photo. It obviously had to be someone close to these girls, and it made me think that it may have been one of their friends, another girl at the same party or summer camp just excited about photography and taking photos of everyone and everything. To read more about the show, you can get the original press release here.

After to museum, I got to see the hotel where I'll be staying for Sylvie and Miriam's wedding. It's beautiful and right in downtown Salem, only a block from the museum. After that Sylvie and I headed to a DSW that we spotted on the way up to Salem and both got some great deals on shoes. I got 2 pair for $22! and Sylvie's one pair ended up being less than $5. Totally worth stopping.

After a nice day of shopping and museum-going, we picked up Miriam, headed back to my place for dinner, Yahtzee and watching the finale of The Amazing Race. It was a wonderful evening. So wonderful, that by the time they left I didn't even think about turning on my computer to write about it. So here I am this morning, writing about yesterday...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Where in Salem is there wedding? My sister's wedding was at the church there - right in the downtown area. If you get the chance - go to the Irish pub (the name is escaping me) and have a pint or 2 for me. :)

Jocelyn said...

Hey there
I think it was worth missing one day. It looked like you had a fabulous day. I have really enjoyed hearing about your adventures. We should catch up soon.

Jerri said...

i love hearing about the adventures, too. did you miss another day? oh no!