Friday, January 4, 2008

Caffeine or not

I've gone through stages in my life when I've been completely addicted to caffeine and then some points when I've gone off it completely. College was my lowest point, drinking regular Pepsi for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I thought I was invincible. Then it just hit me one day that I didn't need it anymore. From that point on I've been back and forth, trying out new things in either caffeine or caffeine-free varieties. For a while I was addicted to unsweetened iced tea (my dentist noticed no cavities, but a little bit of staining...) Right now I'm pretty much caffeine-free, except for the occasional soda with pizza (nothing tastes better with pizza, except maybe beer...).

Right now I'm drinking herbal tea. It's alright. I let it steep too long so it got a little bitter, which is the worst thing. I'm feeling a little sluggish, too. But hey, it's Friday after the holidays, so it's OK, right? Basically what I'm saying is, I wish I had gotten at least a white or green tea with a little kick to it. Oh, Caffeine! You evil temptress! It's tough when you know what you're missing...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Coffee, Beth.

Coffee.

Previously Junebug B said...

I don't like the coffee drug. I've never really liked the taste of it, and even the smell of it roasting is not appealing to me at all. Sorry, dude. I know I'm in the minority here, but it's true.

Sally said...

Oh man can I relate. I am currently on the caffiene wagon, but have fallen off countless times. I used to be more open about my anguished 'caffiene or not' thoughts, until a frustrated roommate told me, "Why don't you worry about more important things in your life?" Since then, I've worried about that too.

All I can say is that nothing quite beats the multi-sensory experience of a cup of coffee--warm hands, roasty-steamy aroma, little bitter sips, and the little boost of energy that says, 'don't you remember how creative and motivated you are?'

Cheers--I clink hot mugs of whatever with you!