Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I want to be an alchemist"

My phone rang at 7:45 this morning and my nephew, Nathaniel was on the other end. He had recently sent me a comic book of his creation and he wanted to get my reaction to it. I said I hoped I'm on the subscription list and I'm already looking forward to the next installment. Then we had a nice conversation that went something like this:
B: Do you have school today?
N: Yes, we're learning about tornadoes.
B: Wow, that's cool, what about tornadoes?
N: Well, really about all kinds of weather, but tornadoes are cool.
B: Oh, I see. What else are you learning about?
N: Well, we're going to be learning about dinosaurs soon.
B: Great!
N: Yeah, I really like dinosaurs.
B: Cool, maybe someday you'll be a paleontologist.
N: No, I want to be an alchemist.
B: Really? Where did you learn about alchemy?
N: Mom.
B: So what are you going to do with that?
N: Well, you know, make potions and stuff. I heard that alchemy is kind of like cooking because you start with ingredients and then make something out of them. But cooking might be better because you get to eat what you make.
B: Well, that's true. Maybe you'll be a famous chef.
N: No, I just want to be an alchemist.

Clearly kids these days know how to dream big. Did I mention that Nathaniel just turned 6?

No comments: